LinuxConf.Au: Digital Preservation - The National Archives of Australia, Open Standards and Open Source
- What records does the NAA preserve?
- How do digital records fit in?
- Why do we need to do 'digital preservation?'
- How might digital preservation be done?
- What has the NAA decided to do?
- The importance of open source.
The software (all GPL):
- Xena - XML Electronic Normalising for Archives
- DPR - Digital Preservation Recorder
- Quest - Query Electronic Storage
The technical detail:
- XML schema for preservation - metadata and where to put it.
- Identifying data format types programmatically.
- Normalising to open formats - open standards.
- Presenting normalised data.
- Normaliser and file namer plugin architecture.
- Integration with 3rd party preservation applications (e.g. DSpace, Fedora, Eprints)