The Future of Web Services
If you're just getting into Rails or you're not entirely clear on the whole REST thing, I gave a talk on Thursday, December 13th at the Orlando Ruby Users Group you might want to watch.
A few weeks ago I didn't fully understand why REST was good, or why I should design my applications in a RESTful way. Hopefully this talk will help spread some understanding on the topic.
Here is what I cover:
- The big problem with Web Services
- Does REST solve this problem?
- What is REST?
- Why is it only now that big companies are using REST?
- How did Rails become RESTful?
- Live Rails Code Demo
- Can Java talk to a RESTful Rails server?
- What is ActiveResource?
- What are the benefits of being RESTful?
- How do we take RPC type functions and make them RESTful?
- The future of web services