RubyConf 2007: Ropes: An Alternative to Ruby's Strings
There are a number of somewhat disparate goals for this talk:
- Provide a basic understanding of the Rope data structure to those who'd not seen it before.
- Show how some of the nice elements of Ruby made some implementation details trivial.
- Emphasize the benefit to the Ruby community of having a large number of “drop-in” data structures available.
- Remind Rubyists that data structures (and the computational complexity associated with them) often trump the inherent speed of any given language.
- Encourage the Ruby community to participate in the annual International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP) Programming Contest.
Author: Eric Ivancich