RubyConf 2007: What Makes Code Beautiful?
There are 3 components to beauty:
- proportion (relative size of parts),
- integrity (does it suit its purpose?), and
- clarity (is it simple/clear?).
Apply these principles to software. Good software = beautiful software. Code built to accomplish the task should be proportional to the size of the task. It should be concise while being readable.
Ruby is optimized for beauty.
- Try to imagine better modes of expression.
- Violations of beauty rules reveal mistakes.
- Do that enough and you will innovate.
Author: Marcel Molina, Jr.